I have a birthday coming up, and my wish is to go Geocaching for the weekend. BIG BEAR and SeanStafford two of my favorite cachers to cache with took me up on the offer and were able to get away too! BIG BEAR looked around for an area that we all could cache and spotted the cool little town of Benicia. We like to do Virtuals and there were 10 or more around Benicia that we could do with some traditional and multi caches as well. We met up with Sean around 9:30 Sunday morning and the weather was beautiful, so off we go!
This was our first stop. This virtual told the history of the founder of the town and how the town got it’s name. Did you know that Benicia was the first city in the new state of California to be incorporated and at the same time was named the county seat of Solano County? And for a time it was the capitol of California, before the legislature moved to Sacramento?
Now up to the center of the little town of Benicia to this Virtual:
Out behind the Capitol Building there was a rather bumpy brick path that took us by several historical plaques commemorating events around Benicia and then we found an old Barn full of wagons and antiques, it is part of the Museum that is now inside the Capitol Building.
The little town of Benicia is home to quite a few more fun caching adventures:
BIG BEAR and I went to Lake Tahoe for Christmas and spent the day finding Virtuals around the Lake Tahoe area. BIG BEAR was checking out the area on the computer the next morning and says there is a Power Trail: GC368DX Truckee ‘s 1st power trail! Love DIZFIZ #1 by Dizfiz close by with 50 caches! So we headed over that way to see if it was possible. Wow, we had a blast, yes there was snow and locked gates but if you have a Jeep those are just obstacles that add to the adventure! Started around 1:30 and finished at 4:30! Great way to spend Christmas Day with your best friend!
- Sierra resorts wait for snow as Christmas nears (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- A year after epic skiing, Tahoe is thirsting for snow (mercurynews.com)
- Sierra resorts wait for snow as Christmas nears (cbsnews.com)
- Coyote Moon Golf Club – Lake Tahoe Course Review (longislandgolfnews.com)
- Skier sues Lake Tahoe resort over accident (sfgate.com)
- North Lake Tahoe Recreation Update (yubanet.com)
- Free Ski Lift Tickets as Tahoe Fund Launches 2nd Annual Plate for Powder Program (prnewswire.com)
- Wildfire west of Lake Tahoe threatens cabins (sfgate.com)